As soon as fall and winter hits I search for recipes that keep me warm like soups and stews. There is something comforting about a big bowl of hot soup on a cold day right? Chicken & Dumplings is a recipe that will leave your family feeling warm, full and satisfied.
Chicken & Dumplings was a hit with my whole family, my oldest daughter’s response was “more dumplings mom!” I wasn’t very familiar with cooking dumplings but it was super easy and this recipe is definitely something I’ll be making again and again for years to come. So let’s get started!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs cubed chicken
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (for a lower calorie option you could use milk, it just won’t be as thick and creamy)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- Add vegetable oil to large saucepan and cook chicken, stirring occassionally until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Using the same saucepan you cooked chicken in, add in carrot and onion and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add butter to vegetable mixture and stir to coat until butter is melted.
- Add flour to coat vegetable mixture.
- Add chicken back into saucepan and pour chicken broth over mixture and stir.
- Stir in heavy cream, spices, and frozen peas and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- While that simmers, you can create your dumpling mix.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt & pepper to a medium size bowl and stir until mixed. Add cream and stir until mixed. Form a soft ball in the bowl.
- Scoop dumplings by about 2 tbsp scoops (I used an ice cream scoop) and form into balls.
- Remove bay leaves from saucepan, add dumplings in.
- Top with parsley (if you don’t have fresh, dry is fine too)
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
I discovered this recipe when it was shared by a friend on Facebook. I’ve included the video for you here!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! Want to save it for later? Hover over the photo below and Pin It to your Pinterest boards!