Weeks ago (okay months) I asked on my Facebook page if people thought they would like to see meal plans on my blog and got a great response. With starting back to work part time it’s been a balancing act to do everything I want on the blog, and my family always takes priority so this meal plan project got pushed to the side. Since I ate like crap pretty much all December and now I feel like a cow, I’m feeling like it’s time to get back on the healthy eating wagon and back to meal plans.
I’m not going to go on and on with how I do this, but basically I always plan our meals and write shopping lists on Saturday evening and do all my grocery shopping Sunday morning. As I continue to post meal plans on the blog I will try to share a few more ideas for lunches and snacks as well, but you can always check out my recipe section for other yummy ideas.
I really dislike not knowing what I am going to cook that evening, and that often results in ordering in or choosing something unhealthy. Meal planning really helps me that way and I feel more organized, mom win right?!
Disclaimer: I am in no means a perfect eater and I’m not a professional meal planner, I just like to have a plan and try to eat as healthy as I can. We eat meat almost every night, and I am not carb free.
I will be starting with sharing a weekly dinner plan and don’t expect your family will like everything my family does, but just take what you do like or tweak it so it’s suits your family. I try to mix in a few easier meals each week and don’t set the meals to days so I can just decide that morning what I’d like to make that evening. This way if I was up all night with my toddler, or I’m not feeling well or something I can choose an easier meal that day. Most of the meals here are pretty straightforward, so some will not include recipes but some I’ll have the recipe linked.
Here are the meals I’ve planned this week:
- Taco salad
- Healthy style Mac & Cheese with chicken and broccoli (recipe below)
- Chef Salad (my style is lean ham & turkey, hard boiled egg, avocado, cherry tomato, red onion, cheese)
- Chicken Quesadillas, sweet potato fries, green salad
- Roasted Chicken Legs with brown rice + roasted carrots
- Shrimp and quinoa tacos with homemade salsa Click here for recipe
Mac and cheese with Chicken and Broccoli
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 17 minutes Recipe from: Fixate 21 Day Fix Cookbook
- 3 cups of whole wheat macaroni
- 4 tsp butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 4 cups chopped broccoli, steamed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Cook macaroni according to directions and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add flour, whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until brown (don’t let it burn)
4. Slowly whisk in almond milk, cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens and there are no lumps.
5. Reduce heat and add cheese, whisking until melted.
6. Add macaroni, chicken, broccoli, salt and pepper. Stir for one minute, or until heated through.
Tip: My kids are not big salad eaters, so if I’ve planned a green salad or a cooked veggie I know they don’t like I always just chop them their favorite raw veggies.
Thank you for reading everyone, I hope you can use some of my meal ideas for your family and I would love it if you would leave some of your favorite meals in the comments for some new ideas I can use to!
Want to save this meal plan for later? Pin the image below 🙂